Friday, June 3, 2011

Onesies for My New Niece! Part 1

My sister-in-law just had a baby so I have a brand spanking new baby niece and she is so freaking, smush her cheeks adorable!


Yes, I'm smiling. No, its not gas. Didn't you know? Girls don't poot.

I love my blankie and it's not just because Auntie Sarita knit it for me, although that does help!




And do you think I would send her just a plain old pack of white onesies? If you said yes then Shame on You! We will discuss your punishment later for now just sit back and watch what I'm going to do!



These ideas are mostly for inspiration more than anything else so I may leave out a detail or two here and there. (Psst also there are some boo boos along the way. Hey even a self proclaimed craft queen is allowed to make a mistake now and then and if I tell you about it maybe you can help me fix it or maybe I can prevent an epic craft fail from befalling you.)  If you need some clarity just ask otherwise just be inspired to do your own awesome thing!

Things you will need:

(This is for all the onesies but I will give the instructions over several posts.)

5 pack of 100% cotton onesies in the size of your choice (I have newborn b/c well my niece is brand spanking new, literally, she is not even a month old yet!)

fabric markers (I also used fabric crayons but it was not a good idea you'll see why later.)


Cardboard to keep the markers from bleeding through (You could also use some scrap paper, just know that you will need more than one layer of paper and it probably shouldn't have any thing on it i.e. ink or crayon. I had no trouble with my scrap cardboard's printing, though.)

Kool Aid (Yes I said Kool Aid, and don't look at me like that. I know it is not really a dye on cotton it is more of a stain but hey its kid safe. Besides, more than likely the baby will not be in that size of onesie long enough for the stain to get washed out. That's my theory any way.)

Some images of your choice (I used a Hello Kitty coloring page, drew a cartoonie looking rainbow, and used a pattern from an embroidery book.)

Crochet hook (I think I used a size zero, but you can use whatever gets you the size object you want.)

Embroidery Floss in colors of your choice

Embroidery Needle

Dryer Sheet and/or Coffee filter

Scissors (When do you not need scissors!?!)

Imagination, time, and whatever else it takes to get the job done.




Ready? Ok lets get started!




First wash all your onesies and dry them No Fabric Softener Please!


Ahhh a nice clean canvas!

Lets start with the Hello Kitty Onesie, shall we.

I did a google search for Hello Kitty Coloring pages and came up with this beauty.


Sorry I already trimmed it I guess I was a little excited!



Next trim off the whiskers. You can get rid of these we won't need them any more since you can see from Hello Kitty's face where the whiskers should radiate from.

Sorry Hello Kitty!


Now take a piece of cardboard and place it inside the onesie like this:

There goes the cardboard.



Make sure it completely covers the area where you will be drawing. Then take out your fabric markers.




 Place the image onto the onesie where you want it.  Adjust until you like the look.


I like it here.



Close up!

 Out line carefully and quickly.

Mine bled a little if you draw more quickly maybe this won't happen to you.

Now place the image behind the fabric making sure to center it in your outline.

You can just barely see the lines. You may want to do this step under a lamp or in front of a window.

Carefully and quickly go over the lines.

Better, not as much bleeding this time.


Now its coloring time. I chose purple. I know Hello Kitty is usually pink but I don't really care for pink and hey who says Hello Kitty always has to wear pink.




I did make her nose pink. Sorry about the weird coloring on the next few pics, not sure what happened.


Now take out your image again and place it over your colored in Hello Kitty and use the lines on the face to help you see where to put the whiskers.


Not perfect alignment but good enough.


Almost finished!


My markers say to heat set by either tossing in the dryer or ironing on the reverse side (Do I really need to say it?  Ok, I will. Follow the instructions on YOUR Markers.) I had the iron handy so thats what I did.

Flipped Wrong side out.

Be careful irons are HOT! What you already knew that? Well, me too and I still burned myself. Oh Well.


Yeah! One down and Four to go!


Stay tuned to see what I do next!

2 comments: